I was at Mecca Cosmetica today, smelling a dozen fragrances that will take you places. That’s what I really love about niche fragrances. They’re so different. No one-size-fits-all mentality goes into making them. They are voyages of love for the perfumer and voyages of imagination for the wearer. So why not take a trip?
Here are 10 of the best one-of-a-kind fragrances to give (or to keep) this holiday season…
- Go to Hawaii when you smell Kai, 50ml edp, $109. A summery blend of gardenia, jasmine and tuberose, cucumber and citrus. Kai is so light and alluring. An absolute summer classic.
- Imagine walking through a tropical rain forest where ylang ylang grows wild, like the lush woods of the Dominican Republic (home of the best ylang ylang in the world). That’s where Le Labo’s new Ylang 49, 50ml edp,$198, will take you. Moist and mossy, with that divine ylang ylang scent.
- Fruity perfumes really come into their own over the summer and one you must try is Byredo Pulp, 50ml edp, $158 – a tropical cocktail of bergamot, grapefruit, blackcurrant apple and fig. Like a punch cocktail, you could be overlooking a sparkling beach anywhere in the world.
- Melon is the key ingredient in Frederic Malle’s Le Parfum de Therese, 50ml edp, $209, a complex fragrance for women including mandarin, rose, violet and plum.
Home and garden
- My grandmother had enormous fig trees at her farm in Lightning Ridge, NSW. When the fruit dropped and split on the ground the scent of fig was palpable… warm, sunny, sweet and sensual, Diptyque’s Philosykos, 100ml edt, $148, takes me there.
- One of the most gorgeous scents to wear in hot weather has to be Comme des Garçons Play Green, 100ml edt, $145. If you imagine walking bare foot in the morning through a mint patch, you get the idea. Refreshing, uplifting clean and green. It includes lime, juniperberry (gin), jasmine, basil and cedarwood. Just amazing.
The Med and beyond
- Voyage to the citrus groves of southern Italy, with Frederic Malle’s Cologne Bigarade, 100ml edp, $194. Bigarade is bitter orange. In the perfume, its mixed with rose, cardamom, pepper and cedarwood. A fresh scent for women and men.
- For citrus, try Maison Francis Kurkdjian Aqua Vitae 70ml edt, $194. Lemon from Calabria, Mandarin from Sicily, Hedione, Guaica Wood, Vanilla Infusion and Tonka Beans. This is an amazing summer-time spray, both men and women will love. The best lemons in the world for perfumery come from Calabria in southern Italy. Go there.
Cruise the Mediterranean. Two fragrances will take you there.
- Cruise the Mediterranean with Comme des Garçons’ new Blue Santal, 100ml edp, $186, fresh and invigorating with pine, juniper (gin) and sandalwood.
- Maison Francis Kurkdjian’s Aqua Universalis, 70ml edt, $165 – it’s lemony, soft and summery with lily of the valley and woods. A beautiful, fresh combo for men and women. Spray it on and sail across the Med
What’s your favourite fragrance from Mecca Cosmetica?